Proverbs 24:30-34, Romans 6:11-14
The wise gardener checks the garden often for weeds that would destroy the crop. So does the wise and obedient Christian check their life daily for sins (weeds). Just as a weed in the garden starts small, so do sins in one’s life. One often is tempted to ignore small sins as insignificant while all of the time they are impacting other areas of life, creating multiple problems.
So with open Bible and obedient spirit, one should wait daily before the Lord and examine their life garden for sins and then respond in obedience to deal with the sins. God’s forgiveness and cleansing is a great blessing and relief in cleaning up our life.
In checking the life daily, one should:
- Examine the life (Psalm 139:23-24)
- Be honest about what we know is true (Proverbs 28:13)
- Confess the sins (I John 1:9)
- Take steps of obedience (II Corinthians 7:1)
- Meditate in and on the Word (Psalm 1:1)
- Rejoice in the blessing of forgiveness (Ephesians 3:13-16)
The believer’s life is to be a demonstration of the work and power of God. Making a daily check and dealing with any sins (weeds) are the marks of a maturing Christian.