Ephesians 5:1-21, I Corinthians 9:24-27
Just as these Africa Encounter Team members are diligently preparing each brick for the children’s home, we must carefully care for each aspect of Christian character in our life. Someone has well said “that it is more important who we are than what we do.”
What characterizes one’s life is of great importance. Diligence and concern about our character qualities should be a major concern. Character is how we speak, respond, live, and conduct our life, which is often ignored to get something accomplished.
Biblical character is honest, kind, patient, respectful, and compassionate with everyone and in everything.
This kind of character is cultivated and maintained by
1. Praying for wisdom, understanding, and help (James 1:5)
2. Meditating in and on the Word (Psalm 1:1-3)
3. Seeing God in everything (Romans 8:28-29)
4. Being thankful (I Thessalonians 5:18)
5. Guarding one’s words (Proverbs 25:11)
6. Carefully obeying the Word (James 1:22)
7. Thinking good, healthy, and God-honoring thoughts (II Corinthians 10:5)
Cultivating and building character is not a quick exercise but is a day-to-day and moment-by-moment living in obedience to the Word of God in every area of life.