These children in Zambia are happily enjoying clean and fresh water from the new well. One of the most important disciplines in Zambia is to drink only clean water, for many have become seriously ill due to quenching their thirst with unclean water. Confronted with a choice and exercising self-control, they either drink the contaminated water or wait until they can get to the well of clean water.
Watchmen Nee wrote about self-control this way. “People who are greatly used by God are people who not only are under His control, but also have self-control. If we do not have control over our earthly bodies, we will certainly fall when a special demand comes upon us.”
Each day we should:
- Examine our life in light of the Word of God. Psalm 139:23-24
- Commit to obey our Lord. Romans 12:1-2
- Listen and obey the Holy Spirit. Galatians 5:16
- Walk carefully. Ephesians 5:15
- Avoid wrong places and people. Proverbs 1:10-19
- Do all to honor and please our Lord. I Corinthians 10:31
Demonstrating self-control in the words we speak, places we go, things we enjoy, and even the thoughts we allow to linger in our mind (II Cor. 10:5) is the path that we should choose each day.